Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Jarrett ponders future with UPS and NASCAR


About two months ago, Nextel Cup veteran Dale Jarrett approached officials from his sponsor, UPS, and essentially put his racing future in their hands.

Together, they are mulling a number of options, including running a limited schedule next season or, perhaps, leaving the ride.
Jarrett, with one year left on his contract to drive the No. 44 Toyota Camry for Michael Waltrip Racing, has had a difficult season, to say the least. He has qualified for only 10 of 29 races, but has raced in 18 thanks to six provisionals and two qualifying rainouts.

"There's so many [scenarios], we couldn't get into it," Jarrett said Saturday at Kansas Speedway.

"The only thing I can tell you, it can be anywhere from one to 36 races. The biggest factor, obviously we want to make Michael Waltrip Racing better, [but] the biggest thing, mainly, is what's best for UPS.

"It would be totally unfair to say they're forcing me to do something because that's not the case whatsoever. I want them to be able to do what's best, and they want me to do what's best. I have a tremendous relationship there. I feel fortunate to have the best sponsor in the business at the end of my career, and I want to do and give them what is best for them and what they deserve."




Source: http://autoracingsport.com/nascar/jarrett-ponders-future-with-ups-and-nascar/

No comments: